Camp logo

Camp logo

Monday, November 19, 2012

It's what is on the inside that counts!

Mark 13:2“Do you see all these great buildings?” replied Jesus. “Not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

I asked to give the sermon at my church this past weekend and it was a great experience. I want to share my take away message with those of you that read this blog :-)

The lectionary passage was Mark 13:1-8 and it just so happens I am in New Testament I class right now so I was able to use some of my learnings in the sermon. The author of Mark was a very blunt writer and didn't sugar coat Jesus' messages. That is evident in verse two above. There is no sentimental value to the building or the fact that it will be destroyed. I saw the temple when I was fortunate to visit Israel and it is a huge structure that is very impressive even now! 

As Jesus talks to the disciples according to the commentary by Matthew Henry he is more worried about their conscience vs. the date events are going to occur.

That is my take away as we start the Advent season and look to go shopping on black Friday. It isn't about the presents, the decorations, the "temple". It is about how you behave and prepare yourself for the New Kingdom. Whenever it comes!


P.S. Registration is open on-line for the Winter Youth Retreat January 25-27th! 

No comments:

Post a Comment