Camp logo

Camp logo

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ash Wednesday

Genesis 2:7 - And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Psalm 103:14 for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.

Ecclesiastes 3:20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return

This whole celebrating Ash Wednesday is still fairly new to me. In the tradition I grew up in we didn't have Lenten services. Easter started with Good Friday and sometimes maybe Maunday Thursday. I remember a pretty cool Last Supper re-enactment at the Congregational Church in Rio.

The first time I truly tried to give something up was after I was married and my husband and I gave up desserts. Well, that just led to many discussions about what constitutes a dessert. Is tapioca pudding a dessert? 

The three Bible verses I listed at the beginning of this blog speak to me. We were formed from the ground and will return to the ground. I performed two funerals in 2012 and that concept of returning to dust has a whole new dimension for me.

If we are from the ground, shouldn't we take care of the ground? The Earth? I think that is the direction I am taking my Lenten journey this year. What can I give up or take up doing that will help the Earth?

This picture is from my trip to Israel and is the site of Qumran where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found. I couldn't help but wonder when I was here if Jesus would have walked near here as he fasted in the desert for 40 days?



I am very curious as to what you do during these 40 days in preparation for Easter? 

No comments:

Post a Comment