Camp logo

Camp logo

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Less of me...

Set me free from my prison,
    that I may praise your name.
Then the righteous will gather about me
    because of your goodness to me.  Psalm 142:7


My Pastor is preaching a series on the fruits of the spirit and last Sunday she preached on goodness. The passage she used was Psalm 142. That message has stuck with me the past couple of days. There was a quote she used that was some thing to the effect of ....when there is less of me, there can be more of God.

How many times do we look to fill our days, our time, our calendars with stuff to do, people to see and work. I know that I do. I am comfortable with my to do list, my hours, days, weeks, months planned out. With my vocation changing and the life changes my family is going through, I do sometimes feel less of myself. My identity was wrapped up in my work and what I did. I don't have that anymore so I started looking to see how I could fill that time. Maybe I don't need to fill that time, God will do that for me.

That is easier said than done. During class this weekend I learned I am borderline type A personality and like things structured, orderly and "right". Sometimes God doesn't do order and structure. Plus His idea of right may be different than mine. 

I am learning to let go and learning how to play. I think God has plans for me, but I may miss the forest for the trees as I keep updating my to do list and calendar.

Anyone else out there that needs to be less of themselves and let God fill the space? 

P.S. - I was also told in class that I am normal, just a little weird :-) 

1 comment:

  1. Borderline type A? Hmmm.

    I like your thought on letting God fill your space.

    ReplyDelete