Camp logo

Camp logo

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Looking back or reflection?

Know therefore today, and lay it to your heart, that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other. Deuteronomy 4:39 ESV

As I drove into the office this morning I continued my internal "looking back" over the summer and what went well, what didn't and what I learned. When I sat down to write this, I Googled "looking back" in the Bible and the verses that came up were not kind as God wants you to look forward. I decided I didn't want to be like Lot's wife when she looked back so I have decided to reflect back on the summer. I mean, I like salt...would not like being turned in to a pillar of salt though.

I think one of the biggest things I came to understand is that what works for one person doesn't work for all and what works for all, doesn't work for one. The Spirit moved in many different ways this summer and you can't predict what will hit home for someone or what will touch their heart. We had many different leaders with many different styles and they all worked! I am a planner and I do think you have to go in to anything having a plan, BUT you also have to be willing to let things evolve and shift as needed. Sometimes....it is just Faith that gets you to the next scheduled event that day. 

The most difficult thing for me to deal with this summer were the camp rules. We have them written down and most people (campers, camp leaders, renters) follow them, but there are those people that don't think they apply to them. That is a challenge for me as I am a rule follower and the rules are there for a reason. Now, that doesn't mean I don't think that rules can't be bent if there is a purpose or reason. I felt very responsible for the safety - physically and spiritually - for everyone so I had a hard time with those that went their own way.

Behind the scenes at Camp Tamarack is something I had never witnessed before this year and it is truly something to behold! There are many people that want Camp to be a great experience! My staff was amazing and touched many lives in many different ways with the kitchen, craft barn, waterfront, canteen and overall interaction. You guys/gals ROCK! Mark and Deb are also very dedicated to Camp and do so much we don't all see. Thanks to them for helping to guide my first summer.

Networking with the Camp Tamarack family is very different than networking in a corporate environment. In the corporate world it always felt the networking relationships were about - what can you do for me? In this new environment I felt it was more - what can I do for you? I was humbled many times by people's generosity to help as a cabin leader, drive campers and staff to and from camp/home and all the prayers and well wishes that went our way was amazing. 

God spoke to me in many different ways and sometimes I didn't always want to hear what he said. What was interesting was the mediums He used: campers, camp leaders, staff, nature (I have a squirrel and duck story that will be part of sermons some day), chaos, quiet and I am sure I am missing a few. My point is - be willing to see Him anywhere. He is talking.

The Bible verse I picked today pretty much sums up my reflection on the summer - through it all, God is it and there is no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment