Camp logo

Camp logo

Monday, April 2, 2012

What have you got?

Psalm 71:17-18
17 Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
   and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
18 Even when I am old and gray,
   do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
   your mighty acts to all who are to come.

I was out last week and didn't get a chance to blog, but the above verse is what I read in a park in Harrogate, England. I was sitting in the sun with daffodils and tulips blooming around me and as I read the Bible this verse spoke to me. Now, to be honest, the first reason it spoke to me was the line...even when I am old and gray. See, I am pretty gray - started when I was 16, but anyway that line made me laugh and I don't think I will ever consider myself old. 

I kept coming back to this verse during the week and it spoke to me again when I was shopping for souvenirs in a store in Ireland. I was wandering around and a song was playing in the background. It was the song - All God's Creatures. It is a pretty catchy tune and before I knew it, I was singing along in the store and downloaded it the first chance I got. Clink for link to YouTube of All God's Creatures

It is amazing to me where the Lord speaks and how he speaks. In my head I am putting this verse and this song together and want to recreate the fun I had in my youth learning and singing new camp songs and I want to share this song with the campers! I still sing One Tin Soldier and The Unicorn Song. It will take some practice, but I think it is a good message - everyone has a place in the choir and clap your paws or whatever you got. Come to the Lord with whatever you have! 

3 comments:

  1. Haven't heard that song in ages. Now I'll never get it out of my head!

    Old and gray is more mental state of mind than it is physical age and looks - just so ya know.

    I would say with taking on the job of camp director you are surely a part of "declaring His power to the next generation" as well as all your counselors and camp staff and whoever else in involved with Camp Tamarack.

    Am clapping hands and paws and having a good old time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gray at 16. Really?? My mom started turning gray when she was 20. That was the earliest I've ever heard. Were you a worrier back then???

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Irish know how to have a good time!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete